2012年12月27日木曜日

Day 6: Tamsui...kinda

I didn't do much today.  :I  I was late leaving again because of catching up on the stupid blog and taking a shower so I don't scare everyone off with my horrid stench.  Since the weather is supposed to be not so good this weekend and was supposed to be good today, I ended up going to Tamsui (Danshuei).  It was raining this morning, so I was going to go to the National Palace Museum, but when I stepped outside, it was only partly cloudy and didn't look like rain, so I went to Tamsui.

From my train station, it takes an hour to get to Tamsui.  I changed trains twice to get on the proper line.  With my minimal research, I knew I wanted to go to the old Fort Domingo and to see the sunset at Fisherman's Wharf.

When I finally arrived at Tamsui Station, I went to the information desk to get a local map.  As INCORRECT as the one for Beitou had been ('next to' my foot!), it was handy to have.  Of course, they were out of English maps.  Through some other visitors who spoke English, they told me the lady said that I could take a picture of the map she had if I wanted.  T__________T#  Okay.

It wasn't much help.  At least she had the decency to say the wharf is a 2-hour walk from the station.
The first thing I wanted to try to find was the Old Street.  I started walking in the direction the signs pointed.
I stopped for a snack at a shop selling steamed buns.  This one is filled with spiced cabbage and bean sprouts.  It was good.  I almost went back for another, but hoped I would find other things to sample, so I moved on.
View from 7/11 where I got a drink.
I walked down a market alley.  Seemed pretty normal to me.
I found a wall painted by the local Lions Club?!
This funky overpass would seem to have lots of street signs on it.  I still couldn't find the stupid Old Street.
 I tried following the Old Street signs.  I ended up in an area that may have been an old street, but they were all new shops... so I don't know if that was it or not.  I stuck my nose in the Sanrio shop.  I can't help it.  Figuring that wasn't it, I gave up and turned down a alley, to find the water and some places with food.
OMG.  WHAT IS THAT.
FOUND IT.  I didn't get one.  It was tempting, though.
There were a few little trinket shops and there was a balloon-popping game.
 I went into the trinket shop in search of postcards and thimbles, but what I found was:
I don't know what this game is supposed to be, but I call it BEY-GI-NAZU-MON.
Taiwanese meme?!  No clue, but I like it.
Since I'd given up on finding the Old Street, I tried to get back to the main road and find Fort Domingo.

Here's a doggie waiting on a scooter outside of Starbucks.  People drive around with their dogs at their feet all the time.  He's being sooo good and waiting.  He's also watching another dog approach.  Though the other dog got pretty close to him, he didn't leave the scooter or bark or anything!
I decided to not risk getting lost further and to just take the bus that runs the tourist-y route, so I found a bus stop.  It was called Fort San Domingo.  Well, then.  A few more steps down the road and I found it.  Good.  I was even able to get an info booklet AND map of Tamsui from their information booth.

Flags at the entryway.
 This place has a really complicated history.  Originally there was a wooden fort, which was destroyed, then a stone one, which changed hands and faces many times.  Most recently, these buildings served as a British Consulate.


Lots of rooms had these informative little signs which were helpful to know what you were looking at.
Loo with a view.
These steep stairs in the old fort remind me of the rather vertical stairs in Japanese castle keeps.
A view of the second building.
A collection of cannons on display.  These are NOT what I'd call well-kept.
A little how-to guide for beginners.
A destroyed cannon.  I read that when one of the groups (the Dutch?!) were forced to leave the fort, they destroyed all of their cannons.  It didn't say as much, but I thought it would be cool if this was one of them.
I think this was a drawing room in the consulate.  Check out that beautiful floor!
Of course, the reading material is the Encyclopedia Britannica.
Sorry, Taiwan.  Teddy Bears are American.  Still cute, though.
My hero.
A beautiful dining room.
Last picture on my way out.
 I really liked it and would have liked to spend more time there, but it was getting late and I figured I should move on.

I also wanted to see Hobe Fort (late 19th c.), but I thought maybe the sun was starting down, and I thought I should go see the famous sunset at Fisherman's Wharf.  I was deceived by the clouds.  I realized this too late, as I arrived at Fisherman's Wharf and saw that the sun was higher than I thought and that the horizon was clouded.  Unfortunately, Hobe Fort closes at 5 and it was 4, so I didn't think I'd be able to make it there, enjoy it before it closed, and get back, so I stuck it out with the clouds, hoping they'd clear.

I got some fried mushrooms.  I like the ones from the market much better.
First attempt at a sunset picture.  LOOKIT THOSE CLOUDS.
Stairs up to Lover's whatever-it's-called.  #foreveralone
I saw a really long cloud which wrapped around the area. It starts at the waterline and gets bigger.  It looked cooler in person, but check it out.




Another pic of the sunset:

Almost no change from last time.  I went to get something else to eat.

I keep meaning to try this in the night market.  It's probably better there.  Red bean soup with tofu and sweet potato balls.  It's sweet and warm and nice.  It's thinner than Japan's red bean soup.
Oh, and this was painted on a wall.  Look familiar?
For those who don't know, it's Norman Rockwell art.  Grabbed this from the internet.
Mountain across the way.
Sunset progresses.  This is my favorite picture I took of the sunset because I like the clouds.
More sunset.
Last picture I took of the blasted sunset.  Conclusion: Wrong time of year (where the sun was setting) and wrong weather for this trip.  Alas.
I crossed the bridge to find Subway on the other side.
And a hokey sign that says 'love'.
Last shot of the evening - the bridge lit up.  I'm really happy that I did no color/light adjusting on this picture.  Woo.  It looks better in the picture than it did in person.  XD
 Back to the bus.  I was a little concerned when I tapped my pass and it charged me to negative 6 dollars, but the driver seemed fine with it.  At the train station, I put more money on my pass.  It's been really handy.  This pass works for the metro, busses, even some taxis!

An hour on trains to get back to my station, then I walked home.  And washed my jeans.  The dryer here is awful.  After an hour my jeans (three pairs, plus a pair of tights and two t-shirts) were still damp (shirts and tights were dry).  They're currently hanging all over my bed.

Did I mention after the first night I was able to move to a lower bunk?  Thank goodness.  I thought I was going to die on the top bunk.  That's it for today!  I'm actually posting on time!

Tomorrow's plans: National Palace Museum, Aboriginal Museum, and Shinlin Night Market.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿